Recipe: Eggs in Purgatory
Eggs in Purgatory
Recipe courtesy of Laura Vitale
- 1 jar (23 ounces) Bertolli Rustic Cut Roasted Garlic Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 eggs
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 4 slices ciabatta, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled but not chopped
- To make eggs: In large skillet with high sides over medium-high heat, add marinara sauce. Pour water into empty jar, swish it around to lift any sauce left in jar and pour it over sauce in skillet. Bring to low boil.
- Using back of wooden spoon, make four small wells in sauce. Carefully crack eggs, one at a time, and drop each egg into a separate well in bubbling sauce. Sprinkle salt and pepper on each one, to taste; cover skillet with lid and cook 7-8 minutes, or until egg whites set.
- When eggs are cooked to desired doneness, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
- To make bread: Char bread on bruschetta pan or indoor grill pan about 1 minute on each side until toasted. Once toasted, rub with clove of garlic on both sides then drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve eggs with hunks of charred garlic bread.
Note: If using skillet larger than 12 inches, you can add eight eggs instead of four for additional servings.